I took out "Big Betty" my 18' Boston Whaler for some semi-offshore fishing. We were targeting spanish macs. Ran about 8 miles offshore (still only in 7-9 feet of water) and anchored up near a rockpile. The run out allowed me to use the new Simrad unit I just had installed on the boat. It worked fine except for some reason I could not get bottom readings - completely blank. Not a big deal like I said when only in 8' of water, but this is something I'll have to figure out/fix ....
Anyway, we did OK -- ended up with about 8 spanish. The highlight of the trip was having a big (6-7') Bull shark come by. Saw what I thought was a cobia riding with it .... tossed out a pinfish and it got swallowed! Fought the fish to the boatside only to be disappointed - it was a huge remora and not a cobe.
My neighbor smoked the macs and made into a spread -- was pretty good eating!
May try this again this coming weekend if winds stay down.
I am surprised FH let you even post without pictures One thing to check is your transducer cable to unit. I had a heck of a time with my Garmin on the kayak. Blank screen, had thought cable was connected correctly but it was not.
Love many, trust few and always paddle your own canoe.